Decatur County, Ala. was created by the Alabama Legislature on 13 December 1821 and abolished 25 December 1825. The county was abolished because a survey revealed it did not cover enough territory to meet the constitutional requirements for a county.
county was carved from part of Madison and part of Jackson Counties. When it
was abolished, Decatur was divided between the two counties. The town of
Woodville, now known as “Old Woodville” in Jackson County, was the county seat
of Decatur County. The courthouse records of the county were apparently
destroyed or lost as they seem to be nonexistent. Some historians feel that
Decatur County records were sent to the Jackson County Courthouse in Bellefonte
and were burned during the Civil War along with many Jackson County records.
Note: Names are not given here as they are too numerous.
The names will, however, be listed in the general index to Valley Leaves.
Watch our website for this index.
Civil Appointments, 1821-1825
This is a list of all county offices and the names of the men appointed to fill those
Steadman to Turvin (20)
This is a record of all land in the county and gives the
name of the person who purchased it from the government, the date, number of
acres, etc. (16-20)
Note: Names are not given here as they are
too numerous. The names will, however, be listed in the general index to
Valley Leaves. Watch our website for this index.
Return to Index